Compassionate, Experienced Elder Law Representation

  1. Home
  2.  » Special Needs Planning

Special Needs Planning For A Family Member With Disabilities

If an individual is disabled, it is important to plan for their future. If they receive any type of financial assistance from government programs, there are often limits as to the assets they can maintain. The creation of a special needs trust may allow the disabled individual to protect assets and still be eligible for government benefits.

Maureen L. Anderson assists families with special needs planning and Medicaid eligibility to anticipate government assistance and ensure that loved one with disabilities is cared for. She can address special needs trusts in conjunction with other estate planning services such as a will and powers of attorney.

What Is A Special Needs Trust?

A family member with developmental disabilities or other disabilities may need institutional care or assisted living care. But that person will not qualify for Medicaid assistance if they have any significant assets or income. A special needs trust or supplemental needs trust protects an inheritance and sets money aside to be used on behalf of that disabled individual without jeopardizing their Medicaid status.

The trust fund provides for travel, spending money, furnishings and other quality of life extras that are not paid by Medicaid or provided by the care facility. Expenditures are authorized by a trust administrator (trustee).

Maureen Anderson can help set up and properly fund the trust to ensure it is compliant with federal law and Pennsylvania statute. She is knowledgeable about the different ways to set up the trust and various considerations, such as whether Medicaid must be reimbursed when the beneficiary dies.

Future Care For A Disabled Loved One

Additionally, it is important for families to plan for the future care of a disabled family member, in the event they are not able to provide that care themselves. In some instances, a guardianship is necessary to ensure continuing care and supervision of the disabled individual.

Talk To An Experienced Special Needs Planning Lawyer

Maureen Anderson brings nearly two decades of experience in these matters. To arrange a consultation, call the Doylestown law office of Maureen L. Anderson Elder Law at 215-595-2600 or use our online form.